With Summer right around the corner I know that snacks are going to become more important with the kids home. So we got into the kitchen and made something new, I love these fruit snacks because they are healthier than store bought and can be customized with just about anything- probiotics, extra vitamin c, the possibilities are endless! They only take about ten minutes of prep time so if you make a batch and think it could use a little something extra, whipping up some new ones is no big deal! Enjoy and let me know what you think.
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen fruit
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin (one packet is normally one tablespoon.)
- 2-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup depending on your sweetness goal, *Raw honey can be used as well.
- 1/2 teaspoon pure flavoring such as vanilla, orange, etc. *Optional
- Extra optional additions, probiotics, etc.
- Blend frozen fruit and water together until smooth and juice-like, feel free to add more water if needed.
- Place fruit and water blend into a small sauce pan and sprinkle gelatin on top. Let sit until the gelatin starts to get wrinkly and all of the gelatin powder is absorbed. Once the gelatin powder has been absorbed mix well.
Over medium heat on a stove top let the mixture warm, while avoiding boiling. Your final mixture should be runny.
Add the pure maple syrup and any optional ingredients, mix well.
Transfer the mixture to a pouring measuring cup and slowly pour into silicone molds that have been placed onto a cookie sheet for easy handling.
Place your cookie sheet with the molds into the fridge for a couple of hours.
Remove fruit snacks from the molds and enjoy!
If you happen to overfill your molds a bit like we did, a quick swipe along the top of the molds will help take away the excess mixture. Also, play around with your ingredients to brighten up or change the colors of your fruit snacks! Another option would be to use natural food dyes.
Thanks for reading & until next time,